Adhesives for Boats
Adhesives for use in shipbuilding must conform to certain special requirements:
- Boat adhesives must be waterproof (resistant to fresh and salt water).
- When applied to the exterior of a ship, a marine adhesive must be able to withstand permanent UV exposure and the ensuing high temperatures.
- Adhesives for boat building must be compatible with a wide variety of boat building materials (good adhesion to wood, metals, primers and lacquers, plastics, glass, ceramics).
- Marine adhesives must be suitable for various applications on a ship, from bonding window panes to attaching skirting boards.
- Adhesives for the maritime sector must meet very special requirements with regards to fire resistance, which are tested by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- in order to withstand sometimes very heavy loads in boat and ship building, boat adhesives must have excellent adhesive properties.